vacuum switch connection, and axle leak

To: MGB <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: vacuum switch connection, and axle leak
From: Anthony Rayner <A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:00:08 +1000 (GMT+1000)
Dear everyone,

        I have a 1965 mark I MGB (3 synchro, 5 main) with a 4 speed box.
I am just about to switch transmissions for the overdrive version ('D'
type) soon.  I have got all the various bits and pieces....my question
is..
        On the inlet manifold, where does the vacuum switch hook up to?
There are two possible connections that the inlet adaptor will screw
into....one that is forward of the PVC valve, and one that is behind the
PVC valve.  I am pretty sure that it is supposed to go behind (ie towards
the back of the car) the PVC valve....does it matter?

Also...  My banjo type axle appears to be leaking from the main seal at
the front of the diff (ie. just behind where the driveshaft is connected).
I have the seal (and books)....is it a simple procedure of removing
the nut, spring washer, the flange, dust cover and then the old oil seal?
Will I damage the dust cover or flange etc?  I won't upset any shims etc
will I?

Ok...thanks for you help!!

Tony Rayner   (charayne@dingo.uq.oz..au)