Triumph Herald ??'s

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Triumph Herald ??'s
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 20:08:41 -0800
Hey Listers:

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1959 Triumph Herald Convertible.  The
car seems to be reasonably intact, although it has been stored outside,
uncovered, for about 15 years.  There does not seem to be any visible rust
(thank you, California!), no major body damage at all, etc.  All the side
body trim strips, over riders, etc are all there, too.  All the doors open
and close quite nicely and the bonnet and bootlid also operate smoothly.
The engine sits there, intact; not sure if it is free or not.  The interior
is shot, seats, soft top, etc.  Convertible top bows are in place with
remnants of material, but again, operates quite nicely!

Questions:  How rare is this car?  Are parts available to restore it in the
US?  What size is the engine (I'm guessing about 1000 - 1100cc)?  Are there
some obvious pitfalls to this particular car?  There seem to be some
connections to the Spitfire - could some Spit running gear be interchangeable?

He wants $1000 US firm for this car.  That seems steep for a car that has
been sitting so long...any thoughts on value as it sits vs a restored car?
It looks like it would be a fun 4 seater car to cruise in!

Any feedback would be appreciated!  If I decide to pass on the car, I will
let the List know the whereabouts, and contact person, etc.

Cheers,

Jim Boyd
Northern CA