Dynamo fixed / Another question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dynamo fixed / Another question
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:36:10 -0500 (EST)
Greetings,

To all that gave me suggestions on repairing my dynamo, I pulled it out of
the car and opened it up.  I found that one of the brushes was hanging up so
I cleaned it up and all is well.  There seems to be plenty of brush left to
get some good milleage out of it.

I've got another question.  For the past year, my MGA has been running
extremely smooth, but when I started it the other day it started running
rough.  I fiddled with the carbs thinking it was carburation but found them
to be working properly.  Then I checked the ignition and everything seems to
be ok.  I finally decided that maybe I had a fouled plug, so I started
pulling plug wires one by one.  I found that when I pulled the number one
plug wire nothing changed, but when I pulled the others, it made a big
difference.  When placing the end of the plug wire near the end of the number
one plug, it would arc (of course) and the engine would run smoother.  But
when I reconnected the plug wire the engine would run rough again.  Could
someone shed some light on this?  Why would the engine run smoother when
drawing an arc?

Thanks in advance,

Scott in Northern Indiana  TRMGAFUN@AOL.COM
1958 MGA  HDA4346400
1958 TR3A TS35306L
1958 100/6  BN4L 0 49881
IF IT'S AN LBC?  IT'S INTERESTING TO ME!!
Don't forget British Car Week May 12th to 18th all you have to do is drive
your car to celebrate!!