Cold Red Light et al et al

To: Don Collins <dgcollins@intplsrv.net>
Subject: Cold Red Light et al et al
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:46:20 -0500
Don Collins wrote:

> he's ALIVE!!!!!
> corey yes there is a cover to the fuse box. only way to get one- buy a
> brand new box. thats it. (gee my car has one!!! got ya!!)
> ground strap. motor mount beside the header. one side of mount to the other
> to bypass the rubber of the mount.
> little blue thingamajig on the coil. don't know but it kept a friends
> spitty from running this weekend. see yea. dissconnected. car ran great
> after that.
<SNIP>

Don & Friends:

Yep, I'm still kicking.  Just barely.  Yesterday's work on the B was
the first day I've had off in 6 weeks.  It was also the first time I'd
gotten a chance to read my email for about 4 days. Yikes!

Thanks to the folks (and yourself) who answered about the ground strap.
I replaced my motor mounts just last fall, and I don't recall seeing
one of these on either mount or on the rear mount to the tranny. I
think I'm beginning to understand why this car has so many electrical
problems. As one lister suggested, I think I'll try running one from
the negative terminal of the battery to some point on the motor and
see if that improves things.

Anyone want to have a go at what sort of pandemic problems would arise
from not having a ground strap atall? I'd love to match that list up
with symptoms I've had and see just how bad this is. :)

Consensus on the blue cannister thingy is that it's a noise supressor
for a 70's vintage car radio.  Since Rags doesn't have any radio atall,
I'll likely remove it.  I may keep it handy in case I want a radio at
some point, however. It may well have been original or put on at the
dealership ... it's got a British patent and part number on it.
Hopefully it's not an external ballast resistor, so the coil doesn't
go 'pop' on me.

Any ideas what running two ballast resistors on a coil
would do? If I'm buying a coil with a resistor built-in, would having
a second one cause problems?

Anyone have any experience with adjusting the electric choke on a
Weber 32/36 carb ... or, failing that (because that wire with the
three splices still bugs me) converting the electric choke to a manual
one? Is this even done?

Looks like I don't have an induction heater ... or rather, I do have
one, but it's in the parts bin with the rest of the Zenith carb I
pulled off when I installed the Weber.  Thanks for the replies ...
I'd never heard of one and it puzzled me.

This is the sort of meat-and-potatoes post I enjoy ... and why I got
on this list in the first place. Thanks, fellas!

Oh ... an interesting update:  I finally pulled the old tattered hood
off of Rags, and I've got the new one sitting on the frame right now.
By the end of the day, she should be a lot less raggedy Rags!

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'