Re: Cold Red Light (long reply)

To: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light (long reply)
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:14:05 -0800
Corey,
  You "should" be able to convert (he said hopefully) to a manual choke.
  I converted my single Z-S carb from automatic (coolant heated) to
manual.
  The kit cost ~$8 at Pep Boys. It was in the "Help" section and labeled
as a Universal Choke Conversion kit. Big improvement, I love it.
  Regarding your coil.
  I asked the rightfully-revered John Twist this same question a few
months back. He said that you can determine the proper input voltage for
a coil by measuring the resistance across the 2 spade terminals. If the
resistance is~1.5 ohms, it's an 8 volt coil requiring a ballast resistor.
If you have ~3.5 ohms, its a 12 volt coil; no need for a resistor.
  Under-bonnet harnesses I have worked on had a plain White wire for a 12
volt feed.
  Ballasted (lower) voltage came out of a White wire with a Green tracer.
  My harness had both.
  The lower voltage is only evident when the engine is running. Your
voltmeter will not reveal lower voltage on the White/Green without a load
on the wire.
  I have installed ballast resistors to feed 8 volt coils when the
White/Green wire wasn't there.I used a Borg-Warner resistor and looked
for resistance values of ~1.5 ohms.You'll need to check their spec book
for the right one.
  One more thing. If you have an EID ignition, I believe that a 9.5 ohm
resistor goes in series to the distributor.You may need to re-post if you
have an EID system.
  Hope this helps!

God Bless,
-Vince