Exhaust Tuning

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Exhaust Tuning
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:49:34 -0600
In the course of putting the original HS4's back on the primrose ('69B), I'm
also looking at replacing the exhaust system which is leaking and blocked
from road dings. I have an oversize (1 7/8") stainless system on the maroon,
but it was very loud and I'm not sure I want to use it on the prim. I was
able to set off an alarm or two in the parking garage at work when I'd start
the maroon. I'd like something with a tamer tone, but would also like to
pump up the low end of the RPM scale. Right now there seem to be several
different options open:

1. Midas can put a stock system on it and all I have to do is watch.
2. Take the 1 7/8" system off the maroon and insert a front silencer.
3. Purchase the twin-tailed freeflow system that seems so popular.
4. Or the orange Peco system I saw in the Moss catalog last winter.
5. Get one of the stainless stock sized systems.

Any thoughts from anyone who's done these would be appreciated. It'd be nice
to know what the 150 - 200 dollars is going to do for me before I spend it.
Eventually I'm thinking I'll polish & port the head, but it's not in the
immediate future.
No one in Tuna knows what I do for a living.
Why should they care what I say?

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
schnittke@mindspring.com