Re: Mercury Capris (no LBC content)

To: Mike Ellsworth <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Subject: Re: Mercury Capris (no LBC content)
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:19:04 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Mike Ellsworth wrote:

> I got a call from a friend last night, asking for some advice. He is
> looking at a Mercury Capri roadster (can I call it that here?), and wanted
> my opinion on the car. Having never even sat in one, I said I knew a place
> where opinions were available on any car ever made. I don't want to start a
> Anti-anything thread here, but if anyone has any experience, good or bad,
> with these cars, please let me know. Aren't they mid or rear engined? Are
> they still being made (I don't think so)? Were they made by Mercury, or by
> some overseas partner? All opinions welcome.
>
> p.s. No I can't tell him to forget it and get an LBC. We've already had
> that conversation, and his wife said no cars that are older and require
> more attention than the kids. This may be as close as he can get to a REAL
> roadster.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Mike Ellsworth

If it is the car I am thinking of, it is homely as a mud fence.  I
believe the motoring press did not much like it when it was new; I would
look in back issues of magazines.  If I remember correctly, and it was
unimpressive new, it is not likely to have improved with age.  I'd think
a second hand Miata would be a far better buy.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910