RE:Plymouth Cricket

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: RE:Plymouth Cricket
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 08:21 PST
>Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:03:52 -0500 (EST)
>From: Trmgafun@aol.com
>Subject: Plymouth Cricket

>Greetings,

>Does anyone remember the Plymouth Cricket?  A little four door econo box from
>the '70's.  A friend of mine in high school owned one.  I remember that it
>had a British heritage but I'm not sure who built it.  If I hadn't known
>better I would have thought it was Japanese.

>Scott
Scott,
      Yes I remember the Cricket, it was sold in the UK by Chrysler under
the name AVENGER. My company bought one for me when I was driving from
London to Birmingham 3 or 4 times a week. I believe it had a 1800CC engine,
(LBC content, about the size of the BMC B series) the body was kind of wedge
shaped, a four door, it would hit about 80 MPH tops.
I recall an incident on a cold cold day about 20F deg. I went out of my flat
(apartment) to go to work, started the engine and it screamed! I shut it off
opened the bonnet (hood) and could see smoke coming from the front of the
engine. I fired it up again and could see the fan was not turning.  The
smoke was coming from the fan belt slipping on the water pump pulley. After
shutting it off and taking a closer look I could see the problem.  The core
(freeze) plugs were sticking out of the block on pillars of ice, the coolant
had frozen.  Too bad, only 4000 miles on that engine, they forgot to add the
antifreeze! Other than that, I drove it for 3 years without a lick of
trouble after a new engine was installed. I did feel that it was a little
under powered for such a large car (large by UK standards!). John.
E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1976 MGB-RESTORED;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.