RE: Whistles on Cars? Could it have been April 1?

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@erols.com>, "Nolan Penney" <npenney@erols.com>,
Subject: RE: Whistles on Cars? Could it have been April 1?
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 97 12:57:24 UT
IMHO I believe that there is the distinct possibility that deer whistles do
nothing but your mind thinks that they do.  In other words, the application of
the whistles and the observation that deer and other critters vacate the road
area may be an illusory relationship.  I remember thinking, after installing
my first pair of deer whistlers on my 69B daily driver, how all the deer
seemed to be leaping away from me as hurled on down the road.  Later, while
driving the land battleship (93 Chevy Caprice station wagon), without the
benefit of the deer whistlers, I began to notice the same phenomenon.  The
point is that once I installed the whistlers on my lbc my perception and
expectations changed - not the deer's behavior!!  Next time you are driving in
a deer area at dusk or when it is dark (a daily event here in the PA/NJ area),
please note that most of the deer you encounter either dash off into the woods
or ignore you altogether.  This does not mean that on occasion, a deer will
not (a double negative) get lost in your headlights and in the confusion that
follows, end up in your car's path.  All it means is that I do not believe the
deer whistles work - what BMW is up to may be a different story.  Now, does
anyone else out there think that their car runs better on a full tank of gas -
especially after a fresh fill up?????

Jest a dumb hick from deer country,

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst (no deer whistle - but if it helps the car run better I will install
a pair)
69 C GT (going to fill up the tank real soon)
69 B Rdst (deer whistle - never hit by deer - proof that the devise must
work!!!)
71 B GT (4 sale - will throw in a pair of deer whistles and a full tank)