Re: TD differential conversion

To: jhgindle@wcnet.org
Subject: Re: TD differential conversion
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:44:34 EST
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:54:58 -0500 "John H. Gindlesberger"
<jhgindle@wcnet.org> writes:
>I've read with interest the various postings about installing MGA
>gears in
>the TD differential and this seems to be a very worthwhile
>modification.
>Is it possible to use the gears from the banjo type MGB differential
>in the
>TD?  I haven't heard or read of this, so there's probably a good
>reason why
>it can't be done, but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this.

Yes, it can be done as the MGB and MGA "banjo" axles are the same size
and design. However, and this is the real point, tthe MGB gear ratio
(3.9:1) is much too high for the TD unless serious increases in power
have been made, (or you live where there are no hills whatsoever).

Even the 4.33:1 of the MGA is a bit too tall if you live in hilly
terrain. The optimum for a TD with a more-or-less stock engine is the MG
Magnette 4.55:1 ratio.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center