Re: TD transmission (gearbox)

To: Blair Engle <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: TD transmission (gearbox)
From: The English Connection <engconn@pot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 19:45:29 -0500
Blair Engle wrote:

> At 11:15 AM 4/5/97 -0500, Steve Tritle wrote:
> >My transmission was rebuilt with the car 2 years ago. Initially the
> >gearing was very stiff but has loosened up nicely.
> >The transmission would "pop" out >>>>SNIP>>>>
> >Steve
> >52 TD
> >
> Hi Steve...
>
> Drop the drive shaft at the rear flange of the transmission.  See if the
> nut on the end of the main shaft is tight.  This nut must be very tight.  I
> do not have the torque raiting.  I use a 24" braker bar.
>
> Press on regardless,
>
> Blair Engle #199
> The Classic MG Shop

Yes, good advice.  The output shaft holds a lot of the "inner workings"
in the right relationship with the gears etc. on the input or main
shaft.  If the nut is loose, then the rear shaft can move backwards
under load, and cause a drop out.  However, if the nut is tight, then
there could be several other possibilities.

 1. When the box was rebuilt, the person doing the work might have got
the rear felt oil seal trapped between the inner end of the rear flange
and the rear bearing's guard plate, giving a  false appearance of being
tightened in the correct position. After a while, the seal erodes, and
the shaft becomes loose.

 2. The box did not have all the work necessary to prevent drop out,
carried out correctly.  Drop out can also be a result of:-

a. worn sliding hubs,
b. worn selector shafts
c. weak springs in sliding hubs
d. weak springs in selector shafts locks
e. slack in the gear lever's operation, resulting in inadequate
engagement of the    relative gear
f. correct spacing washers, bearing guards and spring plates on both
sides of the    'central bearing' missing
g. any combination of the above in greater or lesser amounts.

However, hold your breath.  If the nut IS loose, chances are that was
the cause of the problem.  If you find it loose, place the car in first
gear, and tighten the nut substantially.  Repeat several times, taking
the car out of gear between each cycle, to give the shaft a chance to
creep forward, and bed down in it's correct position.  If the oil seal
was the cause, then at the worst you'll have an oil leak at the rear end
of the box.  If that doesn't solve the problem you will, in all
probability, have to remove the box and investigate more fully.

Geoff Love