Maintainance questions - long

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Maintainance questions - long
From: PLM97@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:31:11 -0400 (EDT)
I've been trying to catch up on servicing 74 Midget.  The car runs fine and
is in fairly good shape, but I'm not sure what to use on the following areas:

Transmission fluid - local MG shop says to use 30 weight non detergent oil,
several manuals state 20W50, yet another says Gear Oil 90.  Any suggestions
as to what is best to use?

Spark plugs - does any one have any experience with the platinum plugs versus
the recomended Champion N-9Y?

Spark Plug wires - current wires are at least 15 years old - any thoughts on
replacing with std or the high performance wires?

Oil change - changed oil & filter - very dirty, Porter's manual says to flush
out engine with one of those 5 minute runs and then change oil again in 1000
miles.  Again car is running nicely, I don't want to goof anything up,
however I know oil was not changed often - is this necessary?

Air filter - I picked up the original housing at a shop - do the round plates
bolt to the carb or must you try to install everything together using the 4
bolts?

Shocks - I was going to top off if needed - local shop says if it isn't
leaking don't fool with it.  Twist says top them off with 50 weight hydraulic
oil with seal sweller & anti foaming.  (Need brand name to find this one)
 Any experience with this?

Pennie Haase
74 Midget

  PO had the car for 15 years and only put 2000 miles on it - don't laugh it
was my Mom's so I know the mileage is correct.