Re: Fuel Out of Vent Tube

To: "William H. Ball" <bball@staffnet.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Out of Vent Tube
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:44:06 -0700
At 04:21 PM 4/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone help me with this problem? I was at a light in my '75 B when
>the engine stalled... i restarted, but soon realized something was amiss
>when the engine repeatedly stalled at idle... it had been running fine...
>i was able to make it home to the garage...
>
>When I tried restarting the engine, i could hear the fuel pump clicking
>away before engaging the starter... the engine would then not start after
>engaging the starter... i then smelled gas, quickly turned off the engine,
>and looked under the car... fuel was coming out of the vent tube
>(connected to the running-on-control valve, which is connected to the
>charcoal adsorption canister) and pouring onto the floor!
>
>i noticed a vapor line from the twin-HIF carbs was disconnected and
>reconnected it... i have not tried restarting the car, as it appears that
>there is definitely gas in the adsorption canister...
>
>any ideas? i'd appreciate anything...
>
>p.s. i recall a message from a fellow several months back who had his
>canister fill up with gas, but can't recall the problem or the fix...
>
>thanks!
>
>billy ball

Replace your needle valves with Grose Jets. Mine hasn't leaked that way
since I replaced them years ago. Also, you might want to drill a very small
hole (1/16") or so in your gas cap. Often, when my car would be sitting in
the sun all day on a hot day, the fuel tank would build up pressure and
force gas through the vent tube at the tank all the way up to the charcoal
canister and the fuel would spill out the anti-run-on valve. I solved this
by doing just that; drilling a small hole in the seal of the cap to allow
the fuel tank pressure to stay equalized no matter how hot it got. Just my
2c worth.

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw