Re: Split Fire vrs. V Grove Plugs

To: David Langton <dlangton@bcinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Split Fire vrs. V Grove Plugs
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi David Langton!!

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, David Langton wrote:

> I currently run V Grove's (NGK) but was wondering if there is an advantage
> to run Split Fires.?

According to the engine dyno tests run by "Mopar Madness" magazine, your
only advantage to the splitfire plugs is that they will be a fresh set
of plugs...  They found that the Bosch Platinum plugs produced a
horsepower increase IF THE GAP WAS OPENED UP.  A normal gap produced no
significant hp increase!!  They ended up doubling the gap size,
whereupon they had a hp loss, so they closed up the gap app. 10-15%.

On our '73 "B", with STOCK Lucas ignition, we run Bosch Platinums with a
gap of 0.055".  The engine will pull strongly up a hill under WOT up to
the 6,000 rpm red line.  A gap of 0.060" causes misfiring under these
same conditions, but will run ok at cruise.

We've had the same plugs in for at least 12-15,000 miles.  Our first set
only lasted about 1-2,000 miles because my son filled up with a
non-brand, el cheapo super high octane gas and poisened the plugs.  The
car couldn't do over 40 mph untill we changed back to a set of
regular plugs, ran the tank dry twice, and refilled with Exxon
non-leaded regular each time.  Then we switched back to the Bosch plugs
and haven't had any trouble since... but NO EL-CHEAPO GAS.

BTW, they handle Mohawk ethanol enritched (5%) regular just fine.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen