Re: Cams and Distributors

To: larryhoy@juno.com
Subject: Re: Cams and Distributors
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 13:28:30 -0400 (EDT)

<< How do you choose lighter springs?  As I remember the mechanical advance
 springs in my distributor are two different weights now, one is very
 light, one is very heavy.  Wouldn't lighter springs allow too much
 advance and increase ping?  If I've got this right you retard timing to
 eliminate ping.  The problem I have is if I retard enough to reduce the
 3000 rpm ping then the car runs like crap.

Larry,

  The relative strengths of the springs have nothing to do with the total
advance, which in the Lucas dizzy is determinied by the shape of the advance
weights and the stops.
  The Springs control the RATE of advance.  Weaker springs allow the advance
to come on earlier (ie lower RPM).
  Changing one or both springs will change the advance curve, but not the
total advance.
  To properly set the advance curve requires the use of a distributor
machine, which you can probably locate a good automotive shop that has been
in business for a while. He can, by judicious use of various springs, set the
advance to match the requirements of your particular engine.

 Just my tuppence worth

Rick