RE: 74 MGB Gearbox Woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: 74 MGB Gearbox Woes
From: "john ruse" <hologothic@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 19:39:29 UT
gotta be clutch
----------
From:   owner-british-cars@autox.team.net on behalf of Dave Fain
Sent:   09 April 1997 13:56
To:     british-cars@autox.team.net
Cc:     simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com

> From: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
> Subject: 74 MGB Gearbox woes
>
> I am having trouble with the gearbox on my '74 MGB GT.  When the engine
> is not running I can get into all the gears ok. However when running I
> can't find 1st and reverse is VERY crunchy.  2nd, 3rd and 4th are ok.
> The clutch appears to be working ok, at least the car doesn't move with
> it pushed in.
> Any ideas to help out this poor LBC novice ?
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

All the other suggestions sound like good possibilities.
It could also be that the pilot bushing where the input
shaft (first motion shaft) plugs into the back of the
crankshaft is a little dry.  In the meantime, try putting
it into 2nd gear first, then quickly popping it into
1st.  Sometimes this will eliminate or reduce the crunch
going into 1st.
Dave