Re:The GAS TANK THREAD

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:The GAS TANK THREAD
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 08:39 PDT
Having been there done that as they say.
One aspect of this thread that has not been mentioned is the fact that the
"flat top" MGB tank has a pre filter located on the pick up end of the fuel
pipe inside the tank. (The pick up end of the pipe that terminates on the
side of the tank where the fuel line goes to the pump). You cannot get to
this filter unless you cut the tank apart. This pre filter is made of nylon
and is located right above the lowest point in the tank (The dimple located
central bottom, looking at the base of the tank).  I imagine that any
coating that is poured into the tank will find its way onto the surface of
the filter and perform its sealing of the surface here also.  So long as the
whole filter does not get blocked I guess the result would be OK. You may
not be able to suck the last couple of gallons out?
My experience was that after cleaning and sealing the tank I was not able to
draw gas from the tank! So I ended up buying a new tank in the end, after
spending money to clean the old one and then seal it. After I got my new
tank installed I cut open the old one to see what my problem was, I found
the pre filter and then realized what had happened. As an experiment, I
connected my air compressor to blow into the tank via this fuel pipe. It
took almost the full 120 pounds of pressure to displace the blockage. It
burst the pre filter! Soooo, I guess beware of what you are doing. I had
never seen any reference to the fact that the tank has an internal filter.
The later tank for the 77-80 (I think) has the fuel pre filter and pickup
pipe attached to the fuel gauge float, so one does have the chance to
replace this filter, albeit you must replace the float assembly also.
YMMV etc etc.
E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1976 MGB-RESTORED;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.