Re: fan relay 79 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fan relay 79 MGB
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:43:26 -0700
Pat:
        The gold anodised switch is manufactured by "Intermotor", a
British company that usually makes good stuff.  I have noticed a lot of
failures with their temp senders tho.  I am recomending people use the
factory original unit made by "Otter".  Moss does carry it, tho not
cataloged.  Moss # 542-216.  It is bloody expensive, but does seem to
hold up better.
        If you do not have a relay on the fans, I would recomend one.  I
think the reason that the switches are dying is contact failure from too
high of a current from worn fan motors.  A good relay might help.

        Another alternative is to take out the radiator and have a shop
put in a threaded collar to use a different switch.  In my V6 MGBGT I am
using a Subaru switch.  It controls a relay, so far 9 years and no
failure.

Kelvin