Re: hard top

To: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: hard top
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:40:16 -0700
At 03:35 PM 4/13/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I've gotten the impression that the factory offered hardtops for some B
>roadsters.  If this is true,
>1.How do you identify a factory top v. after market?
>2. Is any year's top compatible with any B roadster?
>3. Were tops painted to match bodies, or just black?
>4. What should I expect to pay?
>Would anyone offer any other useful information as I try to locate one
>for my '79?
>Thank you very much.
>Cjarlie Frazer
>cfrazer@oregon.uoregon.edu

Hi. I've got an original B hardtop. The aftermarket tops don't look the
same. The one's I've seen are made differently.
The tops offered from the factory were a hit and miss affair. They would
try to fit one to each car. If it didn't fit quite right, they'd try it on
another car, and another until it fit one. Every car is slightly different,
similar to musical instruments. You can play one instrument and it doesn't
feel right and play another "identical" instrument and it feels great.

"The works glass-fibre hardtop, made by Denis Ferranti Laminations of
Bangor, North Wales was available throughout the MGB's manufacturing life.
They were offered in a few matching colour schemes such as:
Tartan Red, Old English White, Black body/grey or red hardtop; Iris
Blue/blue. Chelsea Grey was discontinued as a body colour and replaced by
British Racing Green, which was offered with a black or Old English White
hardtop. " (taken from MGB, The Illustrated History by Jonathan Wood &
Lionel Burrell.)
Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw