re:77MGB brakes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re:77MGB brakes
From: kbedford@biggles.uk03.bull.co.uk (Keith Bedford)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:56:57 +0100 (BST)
Not wanting to heat up the discussion but...

 Kirk Cowen wrote:

> This means he's either a. driven it like this, or b. is considering
> driving it like this.  NOT a good idea...

Oddly enough the problem occured whilst driving.
And the driveability problems were more the engine revs rising (interesting
when in gear) or dropping (if cold) whilst braking. The brakes WORK.

> > >master cylinder.  Yet you STILL insist on thinking it must be the
>*booster*?!
> > >booster!?!
>
> Well, maybe he didn't understand what the booster does...

Yes I do. It boosts the brakes so little old ladies can drive safely (:^)
just like power steering, another essential MG accessory.
Seriously the servo achieves little that you can't achieve by pressing (a lot)
harder, with the servo disconnected (and the manifold plugged) the car brakes
just like a pre-servo B. Of which I've driven several.
Perhaps we should ban all non-servo B's, everything without disk brakes,
everything with cable brakes? And everything that can exceed 55MPH.

> > >What is it going to  take for you to recognize that your master cylinder
> > >has failed?
>
> The most common last two words recorded by the crashed aircraft cockpit
> recorders, reguardless of native language, are "Ohh Shit!". (Transport
> Canada).  Sometimes recognition comes a little too late...

Those aircraft accidents truly due to pilot error are sometimes caused by
leaping to conclusions ...

> IMHO, anyone who screws around with defective brakes is an idiot.  You
Completely agree.
> can fool around with a lot of other things and never hurt anyone else...
like steering, suspension, engine-tuning that exceeds the capability of the
chassis, alcohol, drugs, guns....
--
Keith
  Keith Bedford                         keith.bedford@uk03.bull.co.uk