Re: A -Arm Bushings

To: <Ricko595@aol.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: A -Arm Bushings
From: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 09:00:42 -0400
>I discovered the source of annoying squeak in my front end. It seems that the
>A arm bushings are about gone. Has anyone replaced them lately? I am
>considering:(a) poly urethane (b) steel/rubber (MGB/GT OEM replacements from
>VB) or (C) Nylatron. Anyone have a preference for any of the above? Can I
>replace the bushings on one side of the coil spring without removing the
>spring if I support the spring pan with a floor jack or wooden block? Would
>this be a good time to lower my suspension? What parts are likely to be
>seized and require a torch or brute force to remove? Please share your common
>experiences with me to aid in what looks like a major overhaul. Thanks - Rick

I am in the process of doing the same on my Midget. I am not sure if the
B has the same set of bushings or not, but the bushings at the end of the
shock arm should be replaced at the same time. Be sure to count the
bushings when you get them I had to stop work yesterday as I found only
three bushings left over for the lower a arm. I ordered from Moss and
didn't count them when I got them, there should have been 8 and I got
seven. (Yes one side already done). Polyurethane or nylon will give
better handling at the expense of ride smoothness. And take the spring
out, it is not hard and will actually save time in the long run.

Larry Macy
78 Midget