MG O/D O.D.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG O/D O.D.
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:20:08 -0300 (ADT)
Howdy all! I've been off the list for a few weeks, lurking for many weeks
before that, but now that I've got my son his own e-mail address, I can
resume use. I think the pending arrival of spring has jolted me back into
the MG state of mind.

Plans are afoot to install the OD in my '68 roadster - hopefully to make the
trip to Buffalo in July for the MAMGBR gathering.

Two points, one an observation, the other a question:

O/D observation) I've had overdive in my GT for 18 years (had it installed
all those years ago). For a few years, in avoidance of the gentle lurch on
engagement, and the teeith-in-the-wheel lurch of dis-engagement - I used the
clutch.

On advisement of 'those in the know' - started NOT using the clutch - either
on engagement (I love the way the car feels/sounds/performs as the unit
engages. Conversely, on downshifting, a slight increase on the throttle
seems to 'take up' the event, as you're increasing the revs to match the
non-overdriven 4th (or 3rd). That 'teeth-in-the-wheel' thing can be avoided
thus.

O/D Question: the unit I'm about to install does not have a wiring harness.
At least not a complete one. Whomever removed this unit used the ol' wire
cutter approach to wiring removal, and all I have is about a foot of the
etranny end of the harness. With all the old harnesses I have, I'm going to
be able to replicate the OD harness, but my question is - the length of the
wiring? (Whew!)
Can anyone offer a measurement, if indeed you have a harness lying about?

And, since I'm back on the list - I'm still lookin' for accessory gauges to
fill the blanks in both consoles of the cars. In pairs, would like to find a
69 - 71-vintage Smith's (as in the chome bezel design) clock, oil temp
gauge, voltmeter.

Still waitin' to get the cars on the road - getting closer everyday...

Cheers from the Atlantic coast of Canada...

Terry Williams
'68 roadster
'70 BGT