Fram Oil Filter, MGA, and trial by fire

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fram Oil Filter, MGA, and trial by fire
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:57:14 EDT
I just had a rude awakening.

As I was just finishing stuffing the new engine into Ye Olde MGA at 2:00
this morning, the last thing to do before filling up with oil and
starting it up was to install the oil filter on that new hanging spin-on
adapter.  My traditional NAPA 1068 filter (AKA Fram PH43) which I used on
the inverted spin-on adapter did fit on the hanging adapter right out of
the box, but did not fit  after the hanging adapter was installed on the
engine.  The filter had to be about 3/8" too large in diameter and
touched the side of the engine block before the first thread was engaged.

NAPA 1068 filter is 3-5/8" diameter, so I figured I needed one no more
than 3-1/4" diameter.  I took two new 1068 filters back to NAPA and
inquired about a smaller diameter filter.  I voluntered the Fram model
numbers PH3600 which cross referenced to NAPA 1516, and Fram PH3614 which
cross referenced to NAPA 1348.  The 1516 filter is 3" diameter and about
6" tall.  The 1348 filter is also 3" diameter but only about 3-1/2" tall.
 Both of these filters have an anti-drainback check valve and an internal
pressure relief valve, so both may be suitable for this application.

Personally I'm just not used to looking at an oil filter so small as the
1348, so I chose the longer 1516 filter.  Perhaps it will have a higher
flow capacity and so less chance of upsetting the internal relief valve.
Anyway there was plenty of room to install it and I did.

So finally the little red beast lives again after less than 24 hours in
convolesence.  In another hour or so we (the MGA and I) head out for
Minneapolis, Minnesota for a two day weekend of autocross fun.  If anyone
has any questions about this event before Monday, contact Bill Eastman
<william.eastman@medtronic.com> for the scoop.  I will be in touch with
him over the weekend.

Well the MGA has had its traditional warm up, head retorque, and one mile
test drive around the block.  I wonder if 400 miles is a good break in
distance?  Looks like this weekend is truly going to be baptism by fire
for the new engine.  Check back on Monday.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a new heart)