Re: MGB "V8" Control Arm Bushings

To: borisri@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: MGB "V8" Control Arm Bushings
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:09:23 EDT
On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:31:26 -0400 "Richard A. Boris"
<borisri@earthlink.net> writes:
>Need some guidance regarding the replacement of the rubber
>control arm bushings. It seems everyone suggests using the "V8"( qty 4)
>bushings in lieu of the OEM type (qty 8). The "V8" bushings have a steel
insert
>inside and ride on the wishbone bolt, while the OEM type the rubber
>bushing rides on the wishbone bolt. Question, we have metal to metal
>interface, what lube type should be used to prevent excessive friction
>and subsequent wear?

Rich...Yes, the metal sleeve of the V8 bushing is in contact with the
A-arm pivot but, when the big nut tightens against the big washer, it
locks the tube in place. The movement is all in the flex of the rubber.
So, no lubrication is necessary between the two metal surfaces, although
a smear of grease will prevent corrosion from making the two parts
inseparable in future.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center