Re: trial by fire

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: trial by fire
From: keithw@sand.net
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 97 09:25:19 PDT
>Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:57:14 EDT
>From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
>Subject: Fram Oil Filter, MGA, and trial by fire
>
>Well the MGA has had its traditional warm up, head retorque, and one mile
>test drive around the block.  I wonder if 400 miles is a good break in
>distance?  Looks like this weekend is truly going to be baptism by fire
>for the new engine.  Check back on Monday.
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude (and a new heart)

The engine that's in my '75 B (to be replaced by a rover 3.9 sometime
in the forseeable future) had it's real break in being driven
from Little Rock AR to San Diego CA.  Considering the compression ratio,
cam, et al, this engine has proven to be very reliable so far.

Some advice I was given before I headed out.
 1) keep the revs reasonable (of course)
 2) don't load the engine heavily (heard that one before too)
 3) vary your road speed, don't drive too many miles at the same speed

This third item was something I'd not heard before.  My mechanic buddy
told me that during those first few hundred miles to vary the engine
speed a  bit, otherwise the rings could wear funky.

That was a great trip, 1600 miles solo in a 'B.

-Keith