Re: random thoughts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: random thoughts
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:06:54 -0700
britcars@juno.com wrote:
> Or are MGs the only cars that are maintained well enough that their
> owners dare drive them in the manner Abingdon intended?
> Or perhaps it's a reflection of a changing philosophy about sportscar
> ownership? They are to be seen in, rather than to be driven properly?
I'm not sure about 'driven properly', but I flog all my cars, and they
beg for more. For example....
I just got my '72 Midget running (on another 'update' I'll explain more),
it's not registered or insured, plus it has five bad tires, so I was
hesitent to drive it on the street. I have a canal behind my house, with
a access road to service it. I drove the Midget up and down this canal
road, which is as much 'off roading' as a car with this ground clearance
can take. This car has the interior stripped out, so I invited my wife
to sit on the hump over the rear axle. We went up and down the canal
a few times, and did a dozen donuts around a house that is under
construction next to us. I managed to get the front or rear off the
ground a few times, but couldn't manage both at once. I did break off
both the a-arm bumpers that live inside the springs, and my wife broke
off the sun visor while scrambling to hold on.
A guy down the canal is a real BMW nut, he gave us the meanist look!
Just because we went though his back yard!
That Midget did more offroading in a few hours that most 'Sport Utes'
will ever see.
This little carnival ride really warmed up the Midget (it was abandoned
for three years), plus my wife had so much fun that she almost doesn't
hate the Midgets any more.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"
P.S. Don't get me on a rant about 'Sport Utes' or people who buy cars
just for the image.....