batteries to fit MGB's and A's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: batteries to fit MGB's and A's
From: obertro@macatawa.org (Robert Clark)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:14:28 -0400
i have read a few postings about trouble fitting batteries to the MGB
battery bins (see below).  (MGA owners keep reading).

i am the maker of the custom plastic bins (for moss, vb, trf, etc.) and so
am very familiar with this issue.

the problem with recommending just any group 26 battery is that they do not
all have the same exact dimensions, and some manufacturers mold extra
little tie-down ledges at the base.  thus, some 26's won't fit while others
will.

i just bought a new and powerful Exide 650 battery at kmart.  this fit
(very snugly!) into the bin for my '65B.  i'm very pleased with this
battery because it has a lot of cold cranking amps (650) and it has a very
convenient handle on the top for lifting out of or lowering into the bin.
this battery has an odd base that comes off--and must come off to fit the
bin.

over the past 8 years i have installed several batteries into my bins.  it
seems that the well known commercial batteries will not work, but the
kmarts or walmarts or meijers will have one that will.  for instance,
interstate brand and die-hard brand will not work.  i bought a battery two
years ago for my mga (i use a B battery bin in my A; tied to the frame) at
Meijer that clears the bin very easily, and has a convenient thin handle
also.

bottom line:  take your battery bin shopping with you, and avoid die-hard
and interstate.

for you rubber bumper guys, the battery bin is much larger:  no issue.
just stay away from group 24.

MGA owners:  i'm thinking of making somthing for mga battery compartments.
possibly just a custom polyethylene bin (left and/or right side) to protect
the battery from road grime and protect the car from acid.  but perhaps a
larger unit involving storage capability (NEVER enough storage in an A).
any feedback out there from A owners?

thanks

robert
holland, michigan