Re: Fuel Pump Question

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Question
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:52:48 -0500 (CDT)
Robert Allen writes, after lots of good information regarding fuel
pumps, and the safety issues of changing one:

> Don't get sucked into the 'fuel pressure' debate. Noramal SU carbs only
> want 3 - 4 pounds of pressure at the carb. Most 'universal fuel pumps'
> want to pump out about 7 pounds. Dont fret. The pump delivers 7 pounds
> to its outlet which is down behind the right rear tire. It eases to
> around 4 pounds by the time it snakes its way forward and up to the
> carbs.

"Don't fret" my butt.

I, as they say, have been there, I have done that, and I have the brand
new S.U. fuel pump to show for it.

When I got my 'B, it had an aftermarket ("Walbro", non-adjustable
pressure) fuel pump on it, which caused all kinds of carb flooding
problems.

Naturally, when I got my 'B, I didn't know very much about how it
worked.  So, when I saw gas pouring out of the anti-runon solenoid, I
ordered a new solenoid.  Duh.  When that didn't fix the problem, I had
the carbs rebuilt and professionally adjusted.  After a week without my
car and a couple of hundred dollar bills, the problem wasn't fixed.
Duh.  I bought Grose Jets, which didn't help.  Duh.  After having
changed everything else, I ordered a brand-new S.U. pump out of
exasperation.  That was four years ago, and it hasn't missed a beat
since.

S.U. carbs need an S.U. pump, and that's that.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with a healthy fuel system

(witty quote here)