Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #633 Fri Apr 25 13:30:58 MDT 1997

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #633 Fri Apr 25 13:30:58 MDT 1997
From: James Howard <jdh@sextans.lowell.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:51:33 -0700 (MST)
> On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, doug russell wrote:
>
> > BTW, old Rover 4x4s use to have CC - it was a throttle (much like a manual
> > choke) that one would pull out to adjust the speed - with some practice one
>
> In the old days, when one had a mechanical winch driven from a pto, you
> were supplied with a hand throttle for the engine.  There was also a
> carry-over to the electrical winches before the advent of alternators.
>
> The hand throttle could, of course, be used as a form of cruise control

Of course, cruise control on one of these is pretty useless.  I always
keep the throttle wide open, and I still don't keep up with traffic,
except when there is snow on the ground.  When you have a vehicle with
the aerodynamics of a brick, a 3500 lb kerb weight, and a 70 bhp engine,
you don't go anywhere in a hurry.  Top speed is 75 mph, and 0-60 is 38
seconds or so.  I will never sell mine, either.

James Howard
67 MGB/GT
72 SIII Land Rover (0-60, same day)
Flagstaff, AZ, USA