MG's and never-ending repair

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG's and never-ending repair
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:24:36 -0700
I finally got my early '74 MGB back to running great after having to smog
it a couple of weeks ago. I rebuilt an extra pair of SU's I had sitting
around and put those on. My starter and battery were acting up at about the
same time. I put a new starter on and got rid of the 6Volt duals; replaced
by a single Group 26. The weather was starting to become very nice, so I
removed the top and put it in the trunk. Then the weather started acting
up, so I didn't drive the B for about a week. When I went to drive it on
Tuesday (after the weather started cooperating again), I sat in the seat,
looked out the windscreen, and there was a large crack going right through
the driver's side of the windscreen!

So, today I bought a windshield from a friend who has a number of MG's that
he's rebuilt and modified for $50.00. After doing things with the family
this morning, I decided to pull the windshield and at least get started
swapping glass. This has got to be one of the hardest jobs to do on one of
these cars. I did it about 7 years ago and spent most of the afternoon
today tapping the frame pieces together out on my front lawn marvelling at
how in the heck did this 7 years ago. I don't remember it being such a beast.

Anyway, I succeeded in getting things back together and have the screen
reinstalled on the car as of this evening. British engineering is great!
The bottom of the frame is held to the side pieces with 2 1/4 inch long
screws on each side. (2 1/4 inch
almost-stripped-and-barely-able-to-grab-threads screws!).

I just hope I don't have to do this again for a LONG time. I'll probably
need to re-tap all of the rusty inner brackets and buy new screws next time.

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw