Re: installing cyl. head studs?

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: installing cyl. head studs?
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 05:18:14 -0500
Scott Gardner wrote:

> I have a question regarding the proper installation of cylinder head
> studs.  I've heard it said that the proper way is to install the
> studs into the engine block hand tight, and that they will snug down
> properly when the head is installed and torqued.

Scott -
        This is a little more info than you were seeking, but seeing that your
are rebuilding, this may be pertinent.  And, the answer to your question
is in this paragraph.  This is from John Twist of University Motors, MG
Guru Extraordainaire.  This and more info can be found on the NAMGBR
website at:  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgbr/index.html

MGB WEEPING CYLINDER HEAD: The rule is, all rebuilt B series engines
weep between the block
and head, between the 2nd and 3rd spark plug. Some actually piss. To
remedy this problem: That center
exposed head stud, RH side, between #2 and #3 is the guide stud -- the
hole in the head is 3/8 whereas
the other holes are 7/16. Clean out the stud hole in the head with a 3/8
drill. Polish that stud, at least.
Ensure a chamfer at the threaded hole in the block. Chase the threads on
the stud, nut, and block (3/8-18
and 3/8-24). Ensure the head is planed to 0.001." Ensure that the top of
the block is cleaned to a
SMOOTH finish. Fit the studs back into the block with only about 5 lb-ft
torque. Place a THIN film of
clear silicone, RTV, sealant on the RH side of the head gasket. Into
that EXTREMELY THIN film, place
two strands of stranded, flexible wire about six inches long, twisted
together, along the outboard side of
the gasket, between its edge and the water jacket holes so that the
thickness of the head gasket is
effectively increased by several thousandths. Goodbye leaks.
--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB                http://web2.airmail.net/wkube