Re: SMOG Check II: A knife in the back

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: Re: SMOG Check II: A knife in the back
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 01:24:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Philippe tusler!!

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:

> do seems to have any effect.  No seems to be able to tell me what
> affects CO emissions.

Here in God's country (British Columbia, Canada) we have been blessed
with a smog program copied from California, and administered by an
outfit from Texas.  They have published a list of reasons for failure:

category 2 -- High CO at idle
. carb air/fuel mixture maladjusted
. dirty air cleaner, faulty choke or carburetor
. carburator float level maladjusted
. Air Injection system failure
. inoperative/missing catalytic converter
. (faulty computer control[s])
. (malfunctioning fuel injection system)

category 4 and 7 -- High CO on Driving Test or High Idle Test
. air cleaner, choke, or carb malfunction
. Air Injection system failure
. Defective Canister purge system
. Inoperative/missing catalytic converter
. (fuel injectors dirty or sticking)
. (faulty computer control[s])
. (intermitent O2 sensor malfunction)                        tested
                                                    max      average
> Hydrocarbons, Idle       1200ppm     600ppm      300 ppm   37 ppm
> CO, Idle                 6.50 %      5.50 %      3.5 %     0.01 %
>
> Hydrocarbons, 2000 rpm   N/A         500ppm      200 ppm   44 ppm
> CO, 2000 rpm             N/A         4.5 %       1.5 %     0.05%
                            TinTin                '87 3.0 mini van (V-6)

Note that the causes enclosed in brackets don't apply to us, unless we
go to the fuel injected V-8...

They also tell you NOT to shut off your engine in the line-up because a
cool/cold engine is a dirty engine, and the cat won't work worth a darn
if it's not up to temp.  When you do your tune up, make sure TinTin's
hot!!  BTW, what year is the beast??

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen