Re: Using overdrive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Using overdrive
From: Bill Kostka <bkostka@rgv01.rgv.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 7:18:42 PDT
Hi all,

>From a "what actually happens" point of view in my overdrive use is that
I generally just switch it into OD once I get up to cruising speed on the
freeway with no clutch.  At freeway speed in a 77B, there is not a lot of
acceleration left so I'm not shifting into OD while accelerating hard.  The
engine just quiets down, smoothly, with no lurch.

Shifting out of OD is usually done when traffic slows down and I push in the
clutch and put the trans in neutral and coast down to a slower rate.  The
trans switch turns off the OD.   When I remember, not always, I switch off
the OD.  I often forget so it occasionally goes directly into OD with a 3-4
shift the next time I get up to speed.

The good news has been that it seems to make no difference which way I get
into and out of OD.  The OD has been great for years and the only problems
it has ever had have been electrical--one solenoid went out and the switch
gets intermittant so I have to clean it occasionally.

Given that my memory will likely not improve (my wife says it is a selective
problem) I should stick with the later versions of B's with OD.  It seems
that will be  more tolerant of my inconsistencies.

Conflicting advise attached:
> > The overdrive can be engaged at any speed within the third or fourth gear
> > range at any throttle opening between light and full throttle.  DO NOT
> > depress the clutch pedal to select 'overdrive' or 'normal'."
> >

> "....Accelerator pedal pressure should be maintained and it is not
> necessary to depress the clutch pedal during engagement or disengagement."

Cheers,

Bill
77B w/friendly OD