Re: Re[2]: SMOG Check II: A knife in the back

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: SMOG Check II: A knife in the back
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 13:23:15 -0700 (PDT) (20:23 UT)

>Philippe:
>
>Saw an review in one of the British Car Magazines (C&SC I think) about a
>gas tank additive that guarantees passing any smog check. Ever heard of it?
>Might be an option, but might only be available in UK.
>
>Bill
>62 MGB

Yes, actually I just dumped a bottle of it into my tank yesterday, at
the behest of one of my collegues who failed previous to using it, and
passed afterwards.  It is called, amazingly enough, "Guaranteed to pass"
and offers double your money back if your unmodified car doesn't pass.
Right now, poor Tintin is running like S**T!!!  What with being retarded
(Sorry: "timing challenged") and leaned out.  The car parts counter-person
and ex-pollution checker recommended going to a hotter plug, so I put in
Champion RN11YC, instead of the usual RN9YC.  The question of hotter
plugs got me thinking, though: Tintin has been running cool for quite
some time, now.  I was assuming that the thermostat was stuck open.
If the engine block is at 170 degrees instead of the 185-190 that it
usually runs at, that could certainly affect the combustion, and
perhaps the CO level!  Tonight I'm putting in a hot (195degrees)
thermostat to see what happens.  Meanwhile I have to drive 150 miles
for the GTP to do its magic.

I'm really starting to get depressed.
The attitude of the smog check guys doesn't help, either.  They all seem
delighted that there's an effort to get old cars off the road, and they
don't want to have high emissions vehicles on their machines because
they 'clog the expensive filters.'

I'm beginning to understand the people at Waco and others that attempt
to barricade themselves from the government.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*