RE: Diodes

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: RE: Diodes
From: rwatson@netpass.com (Ralph Watson)
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 12:57:19 -0500
Too many days ago (hey, I've been out driving!) Ross MacPherson wrote:

> At 08:14 PM 4/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>

> >As well as grounds, there are potentially (ho ho) two diodes in
> >late-spec USA cars that can cause all sorts of funny problems if they
> >fail short-circuit.  One diode is in the handbrake warning circuit
> >(could be mounted behind the glove box) and the other is in the service
> >interval counter.  I think if the former fails it means you can't turn
> >off the engine if the handbrake is on.
> >

> I can verify this.  The diode on the hand brake warning light went FUBAR on
> my `76 and I could not shut off the car.  Even with the keys in my lap in
> burbbled happily along.  Short term fix: don't engage the hand brake untill
> the motor is stopped (I did this).  Mid term fix: Disconnect the hand brake
> warning light at the switch at the base of the hand brake lever (I did this
> too) Long term fix: locate and replace the defective diode (I tried this but
> the diode was not on my wiring diagram and apparently invisible) YMMV

Indeed there are 2 diodes in the harness. physical location is  behind the
center of the
dash in the area totally obscured by the fresh air vent hoses. I got them from
TRF part
#LU83225 (listed as a TR6 part)  $11.90 each in Oct  1995.  They are larger than
printed circuit diodes, I would estimate the two together would fit snugly in a
35 mm
film cannister. Location on the wiring diagram (bentley Complete Offical MGB
1975-1980 page 240) is ref #256 upper left quadrant of page connected to WR-GO
wires and ref #284 bottom center of page connected to WR-GK wires. Note that the
terminals are appropriately "sexed" to prevent reverse polarity fitment.

Ralph Watson
75 MGB Roadster needs a new home
76 FSU student
77 Emory student
early 1950's ex-wife  unsexed terminal
earlier 1950's girlfriend intensely sexed terminals
in process of buying 1947 home for all of the above (except ex-wife).

rwatson@netpass.com
On a clear day we can see Disney World.
Praying for fog.