Around-The-World Minor (long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Around-The-World Minor (long)
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 15:50:56 -0300 (ADT)
Last week, while visiting my friendly local repair shop, Peter, the
propriator of "Village Green Motor Car Company" made mention of a couple
driving a '57 Morris Minor around the world that had arrived in Halifax. He
thought that since I am the programmer of a pair of major radio stations in
the city - that this may be good 'special interest' fodder. Agreed, I
thought, and filed the information in the Rolo-dex of my mind.

On Thursday evening, while checking my e-mails, I found a posting from a
member of the British auto organization here, BATANS (British Automobile
Touring Association of Nova Scotia).

The note sent to all members, was that our worldly couple required
accomodations for a few nights. As Christine and I have the good fortune of
a guest room, we made contact and offered our home as a respite from their
travels.

What an amazing story! What amazing people! What an amazing car!

As I write this, Joss Browning and Lidia Defanchi have headed off to
continue their epic journey. The two and a half days were the most
remarkable I've experienced in some time.

Those who may have access to Moss Motors 'Motoring' magazine - the Fall, and
Winter '96 editions - there are two articles written by Joss that give some
insight into this most amazing journey.

I'm sure Joss would allow me to share the 'thumbnail sketch' of their
journey....

In the late '80s, Joss and an apprentice at his Auto co-op in Leeds, began
discussing the idea of driving a Morris Minor (their specialty) around the
world. They prepared a 1957 four-door Morris Minor for the job, and in 1990,
the young apprentice and his lady set out on the trek. They travelled
Europe, Africa, India, Nepal, and then shipped themselves and the Morris off
to Australia.

Funding for the remainder of the journey became a problem, so Joss gathered
up and set out from England to join the car and it's inhabitants as they
continued across Australia.

The car and passengers were then shipped to Buenos Aires, South America -
whereupon it was discoved that the young apprentice, Jay and his lady - were
with child! The trio's journey continued, until it was no longer wise to
travel with a woman with child, so Jay and the mom-to-be went back to
England, leaving our erstwhile Joss and the Morris in South America.

Enter Lidia, whom Joss met in Chile two and half years ago. They've made
their way all over South America, Mexico, the US and now into Canada, and
are in the last months of a journey that began in 1990! They are attempting
to arrange shipping the car and themselves back to England from Canada's
east coast within the next few months to complete the journey.

Whew.

What amazing people, with even more amazing stories of this oddessy. The car
is a hoot. The four-door is crammed to the rafters, including a nifty rear
extension for jerry cans, tent rolls et al. At the front a full-width brush
bar, complete with winch. There's a spare bolted to the roof and the car -
as mentioned is a completely self-suifficient vehicle for them.

Upon it's return to England, the car is to displayed at the Bealieu (sp?)
Motor Museum.

I won't recant any of Joss and Lidia's stories, as I'm certain their stories
will be published, but the experience of their visit with our family I
certainly can. Kind, gentle, cautious, thorough people with an amazing
resiliance, and acceptance. Lidia is Chilean, Joss a narly British gentleman
and they brought the world to our doorstep.

My son Aaron sat mezerized with the stories of their travels, and the photos
were equally enlightening, as all South America had been to this point, was
a place on a map (as was the rest of the world for that matter). To actually
hear about it as fingers traced the atlas was truly inspiring.

One of the funnier moments of their stay was when I asked Joss to show me
the engine (a 1275 Midget unit attached to a 5-speed Toyota box). First, he
insisted I refer to it by it's proper name - a 'bonnet' - not "the hood".
When he lifted it up - I was astonished to find the engine compartment
stuffed with firewood! As Joss pointed out - sometimes, it's just not
possible to find dry wood for a fire -so why waste space? About a dozen
pieces of firewood jammed every crevice - including the bulge of the
'bonnet' which was stuffed with kindling!

I asked if it had ever caught. "Only once." was Joss' stoic reply!

Also affixed to the manifold was a chicken wire basket. "Put a couple of
potatos and some fish wrapped in foil, and after about two hours of driving
- a hot lunch!"

If you have read the Celistine Prophecy, then you'll understand how it could
be the hand-book of their travels. The amazing circumstances of making
connections is truly astonishing.

Over the past days, our lives have been enriched beyond belief by a charming
couple in a world-travelled LBC. We wish them well as their journey
continues, and have this advice. If anyone on this list ever has the
opportunity to assist them - do so! It's one of those rare recipricating
arrangements when both sides benefit!

(An aside...in mentioning all of this to friends, they were astonished that
we'd invite total strangers into our home. Christine has the best comment -
"Hey, these are CAR people!")

Cheers from the Atlantic coast of Canada!

Terry ('51) Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster
'96 Nissan Maxima