FW: Carcoon et al -Reply

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Carcoon et al -Reply
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 23:00:53 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 34  global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 35]

     Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:05:41 -0400
     From: Kenneth Scott <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
     Subject: Carcoon et al -Reply

          Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:49:59 -0400
          From:  <Ricko595@aol.com>
          Subject: Carcoon et al

     Has anyone used a Carcoon or simular device for storing a car during the
     winter months?

Rick,
        An electric de-humidifier won't work in the cold but a chemical
one will.  Here is what I have done in the past.

        1) Prepare the car for the winter.  Oil, gas stabilizer etc.

        2) Prepare the bag (HUGE plastic bag I made out of sheet plastic).

        3) With helpers holding the bag open drive the car into the bag.

        4) Place trays, or large shallow pans of Calcium Chloride (Ice
                Melt) under the car.  It must be Calcium Chloride or some other
            chemical which has a high tendency to pull water out of the
            air and hold it.  Silica Gel, packed in those little packets you get
            with a lot of appliances will also work but is a lot more
            expensive.

        5) Seal the bag.

I have done this and it keeps the car absolutely dry.  The bag MUST be
sealed reasonably well.

Ken Scott