Oil Pump Prime... Leak Secret Exposed

To: arm@unix.infoserve.net
Subject: Oil Pump Prime... Leak Secret Exposed
From: il803@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Ralph S. Cadwallader)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:27:27 -0400 (EDT)
Ross MacPherson wrote:

> Does anyone have a few tips on priming the oil pump?  I haven't opened any
> bearings but the sump and all external motor bits have been removed and
> thoroughly cleaned.  The filter carrier and external allways are all empty.
> The motor has sat without the valve cover, tappet cover or sump for about a
> week.

  In all but the XPEG and the last of the XPAG/TF's, the oil pump must be
primed. This includes all XPAG TC engines.
  If the oil pump is on the engine, remove, disassemble and pack the pump
gears with petroleum jelly (vaseline). Fill the filter with engine oil. Remove
plugs. Spritz oil in each bore. Make sure ignition is off. Run engine on
starter until pressure shows on gauge. Take care not to overheat starter motor.
  Start engine- Check rockers for adequate oil flow from top holes.
  Ross, your post indicates that your pan is off as well as the tappet cover.
Before installing the tappet cover, drench the tappets with oil.
  Before installing the pan, loosen the timing cover bolts, tap the cover so
it is loose from the block but still held in place by the bolts. Install the
pan, saving the two longest bolts for the front holes into the timing cover.
Snug these bolts up last- just snug- then snug in the timing cover bolts- just
snug. Continue this alternate snugging until all bolts are tight and you have
drawn the timing cover down on the oil seal and algainst the pan gasket for a
"no leak" assembly at this critical point.
  This is one of my private little old secrets but it works so well I happily
bequeath it to this generation of XPAGers.

--
Ralph Cadwallader                 Lakewood, OH
72GT  66 4/4  68 FBird            Old age and treachery will prevail.