Tools carried, other stuff.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tools carried, other stuff.
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 10:15:32 -0500
Nowadays, I carry a very short list of tools for the most part.  That list
is... Nothing!    I don't event carry a spare.  Wnen I am going longer
distances or I an going to race, I will take along the basics.  A couple
wrenches, pliers, a plug wrench, a screwdriver to adjust the points, and
some water.  Oh, yes, and a tow rope.

I still don't carry a spare,  jack or lug wrench.  I am thinking about
adding one of those "spare in a can" things and a tubeless patch kit to my
long range tool set.  Tires just don't go flat as often these days.  I
don't know if I would be this lax if I had wire wheels, though.  Those
suckers ate tubes on my MGB.

I can only remember six times when an old car has stranded me.  Once a wire
wheel ate a tube and the spline was frozen so I couldn't change the tire
(the second or third shreaded tube due to loose spokes and I knew that the
spline was frozen). A brake line broke and I lost brakes (broken shock
allowed the brake hose to pull tight).  I ran into the back of a Cadillac
and totaled the car due to a poor quick brake fix.  Once a first generation
Lucas electronic electrician failed to keep the trained electrons jumping
through the proper hoops (many warning signs prior to complete failure).
An upper radiator hose burst (it was bulged and weak already and I ignored
it)  The oil pump drive failed on a cold start at -20 F.

All of these failures (except the oil pump) gave me plenty of warning.  I
just ignored the issue until it was too late.  The cars had other problems,
too but they could always be limped home or to somewhere where I could get
help. I am a stickler for basic maintenance, however.  One of the first
things that I do when I buy an old car is chance the lube in he rear and
tranny.  I inspect and repack the wheel bearings.  I check the brakes.  I
grease everything that I can find.  I then watch levels for a while to see
if anything leaks and adjust future maintenance accordingly.

If I were going a long ways in the A, I would probably bring some
electrical components along- points, coil, possibly a fuel pump.  I would
probably also carry a small battery charger.

I have only had the A out once in the past week.  Some of this was due to
schedule and weather but there is another, unexpected issue.  Whenever I
want to take out the car, both of my daughers want to come along!  Often,
rather than having to deal with the argument, I just take another car to
avoid the issue.  I don't remember having that problem with the Cor**tte.

I am looking forward to British Car Week!  If the weather cooperates, I
will be driving the A a lot.  Friday my company has a car show and Sunday
the local MG club has a rally.  My daughter has a couple of softball games
to go to.  I know I sound like a wuss about the weather, but the PO, when
redoing the body, did not paint anything that you can't see from the
outside.  With that much bare metal showing, I don't want to get it wet too
often.  Once it warms up enough, I plan on painting these areas and then I
will have more foul weather flexibility.

I liked Mike L's quote about driving them until the roads wear out.
Unfortunately, up here in frost heave heaven, the roads only last 5 to 10
years.  This means that the A has worn out between 4 and 7 sets of roads!

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/MGA/mgapics.html