Interesting Elec Probs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Interesting Elec Probs
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 14:13:43 -0500
Hey, AB.

I was wondering if that engine analyser you bought last year was up and working.

I've discovered a strangeness that I can't trace. I had the timing light out
the other day and just on a whim, threw the pickup on the other three wires.
If the timing light works as an indicator of herds of angry electrons all
trying to get through the same wire at the same time like I think it does,
then while getting full steady spark on the #1 plug, I've only got
intermittent spark on the other three. And I did recheck for spark in the
traditional manner; holding the wire just shy of the plug and putting my
tongue between them. The engine still runs fairly smooth, but mileage isn't
anywhere near what it should be. Pulling #'s 2 & 3 doesn't drop the rpm's
considerably like 1 & 4, but I'm starting to suspect the head gasket and
that's not part of this radio program. New points, condensor, swapped wires,
checked gaps, even replaced the HT & ground wires inside the diz (free from
Ray McCrary; well, I did buy the beer that day). I can't think it would be
the coil or condensor, or all four would be affected. And there's not THAT
much play in the diz shaft. The timing mark actually stays in the same place.

Arkansas Highway Patrolman to speeder: "Got any ID?"

Speeder: "'Bout what?"

Glenn
No one in Tuna knows what I do for a living.
Why should they care what I say?

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
schnittke@mindspring.com