New to MGs, need advice

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New to MGs, need advice
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 09:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
Although my first LBC was a TR4A, the price of a '72 MGB proved irrestible
to me this past week and now I'm on another email list.  The owner had
written "poor condition" in her classified and I figured her poor might
not be the same as my poor.  So I ended up with a car that hasn't run in
the past six years, has an engine that turns, a straight body with only
exterior rust (and few holes in the floorboard), and various electrical
problems.  I have the following questions at the outset:

1. Does this list have a favorite parts vendor who sells for less than the
big three?
2. The smog pump was thrown out long ago.  Will I need it for this car to
be legal in NC?
3. What's a good business to buy a windshield from?
4. With the smog pump gone, is the power output the same as the pre-smog
B's?
5. Are there any other problems unique to MGBs that I should have in mind
before I try to crank up this car?  (First, I'll be getting rid of the old
gas and getting the electrical problem solved.)

Thanks,
John Paul Middlesworth
1972 MGB
1966 TR4A