Re: Voltmeter/Ampmeter-MGA

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Voltmeter/Ampmeter-MGA
From: hstaton@ilnk.com (Sam Staton)
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 09:47:48 -0400
At 09:23 AM 5/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>In the latest issue of MGA! (NAMGAR) there is an article about installing
>either a voltmeter or ampmeter in the MGA to monitor voltage or amperage.  I
>believe the author in the article leaned toward using a voltmeter over the
>ampmeter.  I was just curious what any of the listers are using if any.
>
>I figure one or the other would be a good addition simply because you would
>be forewarned if your generator started to go out.
>
>Scott

I have always been leery of ammeters, because they must have all of the
electrical system current running through them to be effective. I learned
from aircraft that all of that current running about just inches from your
body may not be all that good an idea. My experience as an Electronic
Technician tells me also that a voltmeter gives you (IMHO) a better
indication of what's going on without the danger of shorting the ammeter
out and causing a huge fire.

Sam Staton
'73 B Rdstr