'76 Midget Leaking Gas Tank - solved!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '76 Midget Leaking Gas Tank - solved!!
From: cfiddes@direct.ca
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 14:09:52 +0000
Hi foks.

Thanks to everyone who admonished me not to weld, or in any other
way, bring flame near to my gas tank.  Turned out to be a moot point
as my tank is in fine condition (thank you, thank you very much).
No corrosion - just a less than diligent previous owner.

I dropped the tank, found no obvious corrosion so I checked the seal
at the hole for the sending unit and found my culprit.  The sending
unit within looked brand new as did the gasket (or O-Ring, I don't
know the difference!) but there were pebbles on, and under, the seal.
Removed the gasket, cleaned out the gunk, resealed and tested.  No
leaks - me smiling!

With a full tank, I guess I can make it to the grocery store AND
back.  ; )

Thanks again to all who provided advice.

Chris.
'76 Midget
-New WaterPump & Fan
-Freshly Polished & Waxed