Shortening the Emergency Brake Cable?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shortening the Emergency Brake Cable?
From: cfiddes@direct.ca
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:15:20 +0000
Hi folks.

I've just adjusted my rear brakes on my '76 Midget  and went to
adjust the emergency brake cable only to find that it has been
"shortened" as far as possible using the provided adjustment
mechanism.

With the rear brakes properly adjusted, the hand brake does not
provide any braking force until the final ratchet in its travel.

Is there a way to shorten the existing cable and "reset" the
adjustment mechanism or am I simply going to have to purchase a
new, unstretched cable?  Or, am I just being dense and missing
something obvious?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Chris.
'76 Midget