Dizzy Distributor

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dizzy Distributor
From: "W. Warren Pruitt, Jr." <wpruitt@charleston.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 23:47:19 -0400
Boy am I having fun. After my debacle with the rear suspension, I thought I
would try something easy like replacing the distributor in the '70B. Put
engine at TDC on compression (I think), old dizzy came out, new dizzy went
in, and now it won't run. What did I do stupid?

I have the ignition wires correct (1-3-4-2-CCW). I initially got it to run,
and had it timed on the mark but it was backfiring and I knew that I had
screwed up.Could it be that it was at TDC on the exhaust stroke rather than
compression? I tried shifting the plug wires both ways around the dizzy but
it was generally worse. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

By the way, this car is strange because TDC does not line up with the marks
on the pulley. I assumed the pulley key had slipped or something. The PO
had said that he had to time it off the #3 cylinder. I marked TDC on the
pulley when I replaced the water pump and it timed great after that on the
#1 cylinder.