Re: Dizzy Distributor (Long Reply)

To: "W. Warren Pruitt, Jr." <wpruitt@charleston.net>
Subject: Re: Dizzy Distributor (Long Reply)
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:27:30 -0700
Warren,
  Buy a factory or Haynes workshop manual :).
  I have both for my Midget, and I am a Certified GM Tech and Certified
Military Aircraft Engine Tech.
  It is no disgrace to use the books.
  Re: your dizzy problem. It sounds like the dog that drives the dizzy is
out of proper alignment. Next time notice "where" on the old dizzy body
the rotor is pointing, and install the new dizzy such that the rotor
mimics the old rotors relative position.
  How do you reset it? You'll need the manual for some of this.
 * Remove all the plugs.
 * Place your thumb over the #1 plug hole and create a good seal.
 * With the ignition off, grab the alternator belt and rotate the crank
in it's normal direction of travel.
 * When you detect pressure beneath your thumb, rotate the the crank to
TDC.
 *Now look in the workshop manual for proper orientation of the dog that
drives the dizzy. The dog is the part in the engine that is driven by the
cam and drives the dizzy. The dog can usually (I believe)be removed and
re-oriented.Orient the dog to that position indicated in your manual. If
I knew the proper position, I would tell you.
  *Now install your dizzy. It should go in only 1 way. Make sure that
your #1 plug wire is directly above the rotor tip. Orient the remaining
wires relative to the #1 wire. To determine rotor rotational direction,
pull on your Alt. belt again and watch it.
  *Re-install plugs and start and time the engine.

Good Luck, Pal,
-Vince
San Antonio, Texas