Cam bearing replacement

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cam bearing replacement
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 02:29:00 +0000
I've decided to take the insurance money from my stolen stereo and
put it into the MG, and would like some advice.
        I'm told that I can replace the camshaft and lifters with the engine
in the car, and this seems pretty straighforward--Just take the cover
off, and slide the cam out. (After removing the head and the
lifters).  My question is this- Can I also remove the cam bearings
with the engine in?  If it's possible, I can't quite picture how.  I
know replacing the lifters with the cam is mucho important, but how
about the bearings?
        My oil pressure is 15-20 psi at warm idle, and about 50 psi at 3000
rpm, and I've heard that worn cam bearings can be a major contributor
to low oil pressure.
Thanks for all help so far,
Scott Gardner