FW: Re: Midget Dist query

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Midget Dist query
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 11:16:21 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Tom Shirley
<tshirley@VOL.net>]]

     Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 19:22:05 -0400
     From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VOL.net>
     Subject: Re: Midget Dist query

Matt Liggett wrote:

> I just reassembled the dist for my '70 Midget after being apart for
> over a year.  However, I can't find an oiling pad.  Should my Lucas
> 25D4 dist. have one of those felt pads that oils the lobed shaft?  It
> seems the plastic bit on the points assembly will wear pretty quickly
> without one.

Hi Matt,

My good friend, Bill Perry, who owns Rivergate Restorations (maker of
the Minimania Datsun 5 speed conversion kit for Spridgets) told me that
when he used to race back in the 60s with the stock distributor, he
would put a new set of points in and run the distributor for hours on a
machine to get them to quit wearing. Seems they would after a point.
Otherwise, he was adjusting after every track session for a long time.

What I'm getting at is they just wear for a while and you have to stay
after them. Best bet is to spend $90 and get a Crane electronic ignition
kit for it. I have one in my 71 and love it. ZERO maintenance!

Tom Shirley