FW: My MG Story - Long

To: mgs
Subject: FW: My MG Story - Long
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:12:25 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     Message too long (>10000 chars)]

     Date: Fri, 9 May 97 03:16:41 UT
     From: "Wade Shanley" <Wadesh@msn.com>
     Subject: My MG Story - Long

I've always enjoyed reading about people's first experiences with MGs, so I
thought I'd share my experience with the list.

I can remember my 1st ride in an MG.  I don't remember what year it was, but I
was about 5 or 6 years old.  Sitting low in the passenger seat of a red MG, my
uncle and I cruising through the countryside of rural Pennsylvania.  I can't
remember any of the details of that day, just the feeling of freedom and
exhilaration driving through the country with the top down and the wind
blowing my hair all around.

Many years pass by and I've long forgotten my MG experience as a child.  One
night a friend of mine shows up at my house to pick me up. She pulls in the
driveway in a bright yellow MGB.  I hop in the car and we go for a drive.  As
it turns out, it wasn't even hers. She borrowed it from a friend from work.
She immediately notices my intense interest in the car and offers to let me
drive.  From that point on I was lost.  There was no turning back.  I had to
own an MG.  I asked her if her friend would consider selling the car.  She
told me that it was his only driver but that he had another one that was just
sitting in his driveway.  She though he might sell that.  We arrange to meet
at his house the next day.

We arrive just at dusk and pull into the driveway.  I was let down at 1st when
I saw the condition of the other MGB.  Not nearly as nice as the 80MGB we
drove the night before.  It was a 75 MGB with four flat tires covered with
dust and leaves.  I thought for sure that it wouldn't even run.  The owner
came out and told me that it looked a lot worse than it was.  He turned out to
be correct because we did get it running.  Pumped up the tires and I was off
for a test drive.  It rattled and clattered as I drove around the neighborhood
but I didn't even notice.  All I could hear was the sound of the engine and
feel the wind blowing through my hair.  I was sold and I didn't even know what
the price was.

Turns out the owner must have had a conscience.  Since he was an MG owner for
many years he must have known the car was doomed, but he didn't have the heart
to stamp out my ambition.  He only charged me $100 for the car.  I promptly
paid the pittance and was off driving home in my new MG.  I immediately
noticed all the heads turning in my direction as I tooled down the road
heading home.  Whether they were admiring my little roadster or gaping at the
amount of rust on my little car I do not know.  At that point I didn't care.
I had my 1st MG.

Four years later and thousands of dollars gone I realized what the original
owner knew all along, I was not going to be able to restore the body on this
car.  My MG was never going to be what I wanted it to be… short of replacing
almost everything on it including the entire body.  I finally accept this and
set out on a new adventure, the quest for my 2nd MG.

At just about this time I started browsing the Internet and found an ad for a
74 MGB "$5000 into restoration only asking $3000".  The ad was about 3 months
old, so I thought for sure it would be gone.  I sent email to the advertiser
and came to find that she was posting the ad for her mother who was trying to
sell the car.  Through some probing I came to find that the car had a rebuilt
engine, suspension, new carpeting and the body was in sound condition with
minor rust.  After communicating back and forth a few times we decided to
meet.  I live in Chicago and the car was in storage on a farm in Madison WI.
I had some business in that area, so made arrangements to come up to see the
car.

I meet the owner, a nice women in her forties.  We drive from her house to the
farmhouse were it is stored.  The farm owner was just pulling the car out of
the barn as we arrive.  At 1st glance I was excited to see the car was in
pretty good shape.  I was a little put off by the color.  It's a "pumpkin"
orange color that I hadn't seen before.  Turns out it is the original
color...never painted.  My experience with my 75 MG told me that where there
was some rust there could be plenty more.  Equipped with my flashlight in hand
I immediately lay down on the ground and inspect the undercarriage of the car.
 Turns out she was right. I found no visible rust along the rockers or
undercarriage.  I continue to poke around for rust until I’m satisfied.  On to
inspect the engine.  Almost everything looks new.  The engine block still has
a fresh coat of red paint on it.  No oil or grease anywhere, just a little
dust.  Interior has all new carpeting, seats with new MG logo covers...pull
them up to reveal warn but not terribly bad autumn leaf colored seats.  As I'm
going over the car I'm already calculating in my head the things that will
need work.  I decide I can deal with them.

The next big step.  Does it run?  It did when she stored it but that was two
years ago.  I hop in and give it a crank.  Nothing.  Darn.  I was hoping to go
for a drive.  I pop up the battery cover and see up close for the 1st time the
dual 12-volt batteries.  Shame on her.  She didn't even disconnect them before
storing the car.  I'm unfamiliar with the 12volts so I don't even know how to
connect these to jump-start it and not sure if I'd want to.  She tells me that
she would be willing to buy new batteries if I'm serious about buying the car.
 I tell her that if we can get it running that I would probably buy it.  I get
the feeling that she likes me and that she really just wants to find a new
home for her MG where it will be given the attention and love it needs.  I
mention the work I did on my 75 MG and my goals for a second MG.  We connect.
It helps as she comes down almost $1000 on the price.

We make arrangements to meet back at the farm the next night before I leave on
my way home from Madison.  I arrive at the farm that evening and help install
the new batteries.  Turn the key and the car cranks vigorously, but still no
start.  I'm confident that I could get the car going with some more work, but
we just don't have it in the right environment to do that (I don't have the
right tools).  Since I'm still relatively new to MGs I'm not confident enough
in my judgment to buy a MG that is not running.

I get the feeling she doesn't want to let her MGs adoptive parent slip away.
She agrees to have the car towed to her mechanic and have him get it started.
If he gets it running, I pay the 2k and 100 or so dollars to get it going.  If
they can't get it going I'm free of the deal.  We shake on it and trade phone
numbers.

A week later I get the call.  The car is now running.  The mechanic faxes me a
list of things that need repair.  All were things I noted with the exception
of the rear breaks not working at all.  He said it was driveable but not
recommended until the breaks were fixed.  I reviewed his estimate and felt I
could get a better deal locally or do the work myself.  I talked to the owner
and make arrangement to pickup the car the next Saturday.

I rent a U-haul with a trailer and make the jaunt back up to Madison.  It's a
bright sunny day in October and I'm wishing I didn't have to tow the car home.
 I arrive at the mechanic and meet the owner.  I immediately observe her
looking at her MG in a longing way.  I can see she is very sad to let it go.
The mechanic and I talk a little and discuss the condition of the clutch and
other key parts.  He tells me of his test drive and inspection of the clutch
and assures me it's fine.  Then we go to start her up.  I'm nervous as to what
I might hear.  I crank it and the engine roars to life.  The 1st thing I
notice is the distinctive low guttural rumble of the exhaust.  It turns out I
learned something new that day.  An after market exhaust can give a very
distinctive sound to an MG.  It sounded different from my 75, but I decided
immediately that I liked it.

I realize that I'm taking a big risk in buying a car based on the
recommendation of a mechanic I don't know, but looking at the many other MGs
and Triumphs in his lot, I figure he's not in business because he lies to
people about British cars.  Plus, I really like the owner and trust that she
is a good and honest person.  We finalize the deal.

I give her a cashiers check, pay the mechanic and she signs over the title.  I
drive the MG up the ramps and onto the trailer.  We secure it down and chain
it into place.  We shake hands and I'm ready to go.  She insists on escorting
me back to the main highway.  I can feel she is having separation anxiety.  I
assure her that I will not let her MG come to any harm.  She gives me a smile.

I follow her back to the highway and we drive side by side for a few miles
until the highway splits and I have to head back toward Chicago. I see her
take one last look at her beloved MG. I'm not sure, but I think I saw a tear
in her eye.  She waves as the highway splits and our cars move further apart.
It was strange for me to feel so happy about having a new MG, but at the same
time feeling the sadness that she obviously felt at seeing her MG for the last
time.

It's October 19 and winter is just around the corner in Chicago.  I do a
little work on the MG then I decide to store her for the winter and tackle the
major work in the spring.  I make arrangements to store it in a friend’s
garage for the winter.

Spring has come again.  I visit my friend and my new MG.  I pull off the cover
and am excited all over again.  I reconnect the batteries inspect the engine
and start her up.  As always I'm amazed at how MGs can sit in storage for so
long, yet start up so easily.  She had two hard cranks then roared to life.

Over the winter I saved up some money to have some work done on the MG.  Even
though I could probably do much of the work my self, I didn't have a garage or
the proper tools to do some of the work that needed to be done.  The biggest
job was to replace all the breaks, rotors and possibly calipers and completely
flush the system.  While experimenting with my 75 MG, I found that this is not
as easy a task as it may appear.  Given my unfamiliarity with the new car, I
felt it prudent to take it to my mechanic for a thorough inspection and a
break job.  I'm happy to report that the only addition problem was a leak in
the rear axle.  My mechanic confirmed that the engine and body are in very
good shape.  He and I discussed the car and I decided to start fresh with all
new breaks, rotors, calipers, complete system flush and new axle seal.  I also
had some electrical work and inspection/cleaning of the dual carbs.  All total
the bill should come to approximately $1000.  About what I was expecting to
pay to get it roadworthy again.  It’s probably a little steep, but worth the
piece of mind.  I may have paid too much for the car, but I'm happy cause I've
got my MG. I finally feel like I can work on it at my own pace and it will not
deteriorate before my eyes.  I think I'll have this one for a long time.

Unfortunately, the fate of my old 75 MG is not so good.  Her body is long
gone, but she is still running.  I don't think I can bring my self to let the
local dump take her.  I'll probably wait until I find someone who will buy her
and transplant her engine into another MG.  Hopefully she'll live on for many
more years and make others as happy as I.....

Wade Shanley
wadesh@msn.com