Re: windshield replacement

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: windshield replacement
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:47:44 -0500 (EST)
Replacing the windshield has been the most frustrating job on my mgb rebuild.

Removing was the easy part.

The bottom body seal took me several hours to slide in to place.  Slide is not
the appropriate word.

On my first reassembly I used a Black silicon sealer between the new rubber and
the glass. I though I read to do this in my research.  I ended up with black
sticky stuff everywhere.  The frame resisted all efforts of reassembly.

The breaking point was when I attempt to reinstall it to the car.  In order to
line up the bolt holes I had my wife and youngest son helping me push forward on
the top of the windshield to rotate the bottom holes into place.  Needless to
say we pushed too hard and not evenly and the windshield cracked.  The second
attempt 6 months later was successfully, but I had to slowly, over several
hours, wedge the top of the windshield forward to rotate the bottom holes into
place.
Should this part be that hard??  When I replaced the glass, I also had
to replace the gasket again,since it was gooed up with siicone.  I did not use
any sealant the second time around.  It appears the fit is tight enough to
prevent water from leaking through.  Any expeience with this?

Should a sealer have been applied between the body rubber the the body?